Saturday, December 6, 2008

Diana's first quilt!


My daughter-in-law Diana wanted to learn how to quilt so we decided to have a sewing day and I would teach her the basics.  I made her appliqued table runners last Christmas and ever since she has wanted to know how to do it.  At first I thought we would start with a runner but then I wanted her to know the basic technique of patchwork first.  So I decided to teach her how to do a 3" square patchwork table centerpiece - just to let her get the feel of the 1/4" seam allowances and the importance of sewing straight and pressing well.  As you can see, she did a fantastic job.  By the time we were done she completed a 15"x18" table centerpiece to use for Christmas.  And when I say complete I mean complete.  She cut the fabric, sewed perfect 1/4" seams, sewed them back together, pinned it with the batting and backing, machine quilted it, sewed her binding on AND hand sewed the binding in place - all in one day!  Now she has the bug!  Really, really bad!!!  I knew it would happen.  I warned her!  The quilting bug bit me  about 22 years ago and I still feel it!!!  Great job Diana!!!





1 comment:

Jen said...

Nice quilt! Now I guess I need to learn :-)