Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What did you do on this snowy day?


No, no, I'm not that fast of a sewer.  The blocks were done (except for 6) but it took me an entire day (and I mean ENTIRE day) to put the top together.  The pattern is called "Farmer's Wife" and it was a monthly class I took at my local quilt shop.  We met once a month and the assignment was to have 10 blocks made for the next class.  The book has 110 block patterns in it.  By doing 10 a month, you would have a complete quilt done at the end of the year.  I didn't want a king size quilt nor did I want to make that many blocks so I opted for the Lap Size, which is perfect.  I only had to do 50 blocks but that was plenty.  The blocks are 6 1/2" so it makes for some difficult piecing.  There was no room for sloppy piecing in this quilt.  And those that were less than perfect fought me when I tried to match them up to a lattice.  But overall, I was very happy with the end result.  If you are in for a challenge, I would suggest you buy this book and give it a whirl!  Or better yet, you can use my book because I won't be making another one soon!!!

4 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

It really is amazing!!! I even enlarged it and you do not need to change a thing! It's perfect!

And you must be perfectly pooped too!

Can't wait to see it in person and drool on it! :)

Chelsi said...

Oh my! Sounds tedious... but sounds like a perfect way to spend a snow day! I hope you had a hot cup of coffee and sewed by a window! ;)

We got snow too, yippee! 3/4 of our state flips out and gets all pissy but the 1/4 that I am proudly part of reverts to being 7 and LOVES a snow day... or five. :) Brandon and I sledded down our hill at 11pm! Hey, I even took Jack for a ride on the tube! :o)

Isaac and Mommy said...

Holy amazing batman. You are talented! It looks BEAUTIFUL!

Dee said...

I bought this book on the "Quilt Across Texas" tour in September. I was wanting to make it king-size also, but now I am thinking I will only make it into a lap quilt. My quilts are not that perfect, and those small pieces are scaring me. Yours looks fantastic!!