Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One perty Christmas Block

My quilt guild has their annual Christmas Party every year AFTER Christmas due to the craziness of everyone's schedule in December.  But I kind of like it that way because it's much more relaxed and I really look forward to it.  We always do a Christmas block exchange.  You put them in a paper bag and everyone gets to pick one.  The more you bring, the more you get in return.  I pulled this block out of a great book by Judy Hopkins called 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks and it is fabulous!  It gives you cutting instructions for 501 blocks in various sizes ranging from 6-12 inches.  This particular block is called Flying Cloud.  Our exchange was for a 12" block so I had to make it in the largest size but really loved how it turned out!  I'm thinking of making a second one using a block my DIL just made for her quilt called Around the Corner.  That will be on the list to do tomorrow!

And since this is my first post of 2011, I decided that I needed to document a New Year's resolution that I have on the top of my list EVERY year and never do.  I WILL start on Christmas gifts for next year now so that I don't get to November and wish I had made things that I couldn't possibly get done in a month!  Di, are ya with me???  I have already started writing down those gifts and REALLY want to stick to it.  The only problem is that I won't be able to post about them because my family would read about them and then know.  But I guess that shouldn't be a problem because I can't keep a secret anyway!!!

Wish me luck on my resolution!!!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

CUTE!! And no...you can't keep a secret, but that's okay because neither can I :-)

The Apple Pie Gal said...

I'm with you on ONE condition...don't call me that!!! Hehehee! No, it's ok.

Your block is awesome and I can't wait for you to master Around the Corner and then show me what I did wrong! Because it's an awesome piece!

Great Job...love it!

Jan said...

You are right - DIL is not good but then it could be worse!!!! I plan on doing Around the Corner today. We shall see! Of course you did the smaller one and I'm doing the 12". Bigger allows for more mistakes!!!!

Jan said...

Oh, and Jen, what is a secret? When it comes to gift giving, I just can't keep one. Sorry I passed the gene to you!

Chelsi said...

Hey! I love that block! I'll admit it, I'm not a HUGE quilt lover. I mean, I TOTALLY appreciate the craft, it just isn't always the look I go for. But that is a really pretty one! LOVE IT! I'm dying to know the BIG SECRET about yours and Jen's business idea. So, in my opinion, you two are big secret holders over there... I'm hoping it's an Etsy store or something so I can put in an order for a King sized quilt like that block in this post... Um, not sure if I'm using the right terminology. LOL! My MIL (awkwardly close to MILF, right?) loves her Christmas quilt on her bed but it's kind of... um... well it's from a store like Kmart or something and it's just not that cute.

OK, glad you're bloggin' again!!! :)

Isaac and Mommy said...

Ok resident quilters!!! I am thinking of investing in my first sewing machine... what do I get? I would like to use it to begin quilting. That is really all I have interest in.... wadda think?!

Jan said...

Oh Kate, I always get excited when I hear a young person wanting to start sewing!! There are such enormous price variations in machines but I will suggest a place to go for one. Don't go to a big box store or a fabric chain like Joanns. You need to get one where they will service it for you and take care of you! I recommend The Fabric Center in Morris. They are wonderful people down there and if you tell them you just want a starter machine and don't want to spend alot of money, they will help you through the process. My daughter-in-law just bought her machine from them and many of my fellow guild members have gone there! Good luck!!!