Sunday, January 23, 2011

The year of finishing...and starting!

One of my New Year's resolutions was to FINISH many of my projects sitting in boxes in various stages of completion.  The first on that list was my Farmer's Wife Quilt, which I already posted about.  Now just because I made this resolution to finish, doesn't mean that I can't start something new! 

Enter the Dream Catchers Baby Blanket by Susan B. Anderson, which was published on the Spud and Chloe Blog that Susan writes.   I have had my eye on this afghan for quite some time because I thought it was a great portable project to take along.  The blocks are all knitted separately and then sewn together.  It sort of combined my love of knitting AND quilting! 

Here is a picture of the pattern that I downloaded.  Did I mention that this was a FREE pattern?  If you check out both Susan B. Anderson and Spud and Chloe, you will find some fabulous free patterns, as well as some you can purchase!  Susan writes her patterns in such an easy to follow way.  I re-discovered my love of knitting by making baby hats out of her book called Itty Bitty Hats.  She has gone on to write several other books and has a new one that is available for pre-order.  You can't go wrong with her stuff!



 I wish I was using Spud and Chloe yarn on this afghan because I know I would have liked it better and if I do another one, it will be out of Spud!!!  But until then, I think this is turning out very pretty.  I love the different patterns for each block.  The yarn was very inexpensive.  It's a non-pilling worsted by Deborah Norville that I got at Joann Fabrics.  It has a nice feel to it for the price.


I'm not thrilled about having to sew the blocks together but Susan has made a fabulous tutorial on how she sewed them together.  That will certainly help.  I made these 5 blocks in just a couple days off and on so they go really quickly.  They each measure about 6" each. 

So do you think I will finish this before I start a new project?  I'm thinking not!  I've got a sewing machine calling my name from upstairs!  I think I may need to visit her!  And besides, I started this with the intention of it being something I can do while sitting and watching TV.   It has a great home next to my Lazy Boy!


2 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Those are SUPER cute! I love all the different patterns and think they will look great!

Who can't use a good chair job??

Jen said...

Beautiful work as always mama :-)