Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I got my game back!

My DIL Diana had a blog post the other day about our "obsessions" and I couldn't help but comment on my #1 obsession...golf! Of course, anyone who golfs knows that it can be a frustrating sport. You can have the shot of your life one moment and then be in the dumper for the next.

My game has been kind of in the dumper for about a month. I had the best round of my life and then - WHAM - couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I really wished that I could have bought a driver like this one. Chances of missing the ball would be slim. But then as badly as I've been playing, this might not have helped at all!

Well finally I GOT MY GAME BACK!!! My swing had left me so I decided to go hit a bucket of balls at the driving range. I had to figure out what I was doing wrong. Since golf is such a mental game, I think that half of my problem was the "head" part. I knew what I was doing wrong but couldn't correct it. I would stand over the ball and say to myself...head down, eyes on the ball, bend your knees, put your hips in it, follow through. I would then proceed to whiff it!!! Geeze, it made me nuts. Then suddenly the light bulf went off and I realized that the missing component was my backswing. I just wasn't taking the club all the way back and was doing kind of a half-swing. How could something so simple be the problem? Well, if the club is not in the slot, it's not going to go straight.

To all of you non-golfers, sorry for the boring post but I just wanted to celebrate my "new game" and to let you know that I have played the past two days and feel good about my game again. I played today with my neighbor Audra and we almost had the course to ourselves. We had lots of fun and even went looking for the "19th" hole. Nowhere to found today. Bummer! Well, maybe next time.....if we are lucky!!!



1 comment:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

HAHA! Love the club, love the hole! Too funny!

I don't think I like being called your DIL.

Just ain't right...